Saturday, August 22, 2009


Joan Jett & The Blackhearts 1983

Joan Jett was a novelty in The Runaways, she was kinda cute & had an ok hit with I Love Rock-n-Roll. On a lark, I went to see her at Bogart's. I could not get anybody to go with me. I was laughed at and insulted. A co-worker told me he had met Jett once backstage at Bogart's. "She had absolutely no personality. She was like a fucking guy." he told me. Whatever, I went alone.
What I got was no novelty, no gimmicky, straight ahead, no nonsense, no bullshit, straight from the heart rock-n-roll. After that show, I vowed to evangelize her & see her every chance I could.
She's playing The Corn Palace on Friday. Anybody want to go ? It should freak out the squirrels for sure.

1 comment:

CityKin said...

I heard that there is a biographical movie coming out on her. Is that strange or what?

I went and saw her at a Peaches record store (remember them?) in about '82-83, but was too cheap to buy a record for her to sign.