Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Bicycling is Dangerous

OK, so I'm careening down a hill and miraculously I'm going to get a green light at the bottom. Just gotta look out for idiot cage pilots pulling out / turning in front of me. A guy from the right hand side street pulls up & starts to run the light, sees me & stops. I made the next light but got stopped at the one after that. While standing there waiting for the light to change a motorist pulls up next to me. He starts shouting "hey" & "guy". I finally look over & the guy is looking at me. Lo & behold, it's the guy from the last traffic light. He tells me riding a bicycle is dangerous. He tells me he almost "clipped" me. I told him I knew "cycling was dangerous" and "you have to watch where you're going".
So did the guy think cycling was inherently dangerous? Balancing a couple hundred pounds on 2 skinny wheels with maybe 2 square inches of surface contact? Or did he want to inform me that, because his ilk was spastically bouncing around in 2,000 pound fire bombs like pinballs, bicycling was dangerous?
Seriously, dude, watch where you're going. Next time it may not be a bicycle & I doubt you want to be as cavalier when that Kenworth is bearing down on you at 60 MPH.

No comments: