Wednesday, May 22, 2013

The Old Timber Inn
While I live about a mile from The Old Timber Inn I had not been there since I moved to my house & rented a UHaul truck there - at the bar. For years they have had a sign out front or to the side usually advertising Half fish logs & St Fries. While I vowed in my callow youth to never let such an abomination as a fish log pass my lips, it gradually found it's way onto my bucket list.
And I can now tell you, dear readers, fish logs are, well, ok.
I think mine was overcooked. It's a deep fried fish filet wrapped in mashed potatoes & batter (?). You can get a whole or half log (half is fine for a lunch).
The owner came in while I was there & it turns out he lives up around the corner from me. He told me the mural on the outside wall was originally painted in 1983 & he was able to get the same artist to recreate it after the building was repainted in 2009. it had become fairly ghostly. He was a lot more interesting than Dr Phil & Judge Judy but I think the waitress might disagree.
The bar takes up a surprisingly small part of the building. The kitchen looked ok, the bar area was a mismatched hodge podge of old crap. It was pretty much what you'd expect from looking at the outside.
The Old Timber Inn on Spring Grove Avenue @ Crawford is open from 10 - 8 Monday thru Friday.

Rating The Old Timber Inn from one to ten:
Ambience 8 - dark, piles of junk, ancient wood paneling - the blue urinal was worth the price of admission
Food 5 - it's exactly what I would have expected
Service 6 - ok, I was the only one there, tho
Hot Waitress 8 - jeans, sweatshirt & long brown hair…. can't argue with that

No comments: