Thursday, September 16, 2010

World Equestrian Games

My sister is into animal competition. yeah, she's probably on a PETA hit list somewhere...
Anyway, she decided to volunteer at the World Equestrian Games. This ain't a horse race like the Kentucky Derby, it's more about training agility & whatnot. So as she told me more & about where all the competitors were coming from I actually paid a little attention to her. When a guy with a deep voice & British accent laid it out for Laure Quinlivan's council committee, I listened & started to realize how big this thing was. I mean physically big. It's the biggest one they have ever done. It's the first time it's been held in the USA & people from all over the world are flying their horses here for the event. I have seen horses freak out in a trailer, I can't imagine flying a bunch overseas.
One of the interesting competitions is Para Dressing which is designed to allow physically disabled people to work with their horses. This is another first for the WEG.
Anyway lame Fishwrap coverage here and here with plenty of dumb comments.

No comments: