Thursday, August 12, 2010

Cyber Security

I was babbling at one time about cyber security & compared server administrators to broadcast transmitter engineers. They both manage conduits of information dissemination. So why are broadcast engineers required to be licensed by the government (and required to physically defend the transmitter) but server administrators aren't required of any certification other than their employers wish that they have some kind of hardware / software manufacturer's ?
Jimmy Lehrer's News Hour sent a reporter to The Black Hat Convention in Las Vegas to interview hackers & retired General & ex CIA Director Michael Hayden. While the licensing I am advocating wasn't mentioned I think the dialogue makes my point. It's important that we secure our communications systems but also our utility, service & manufacturing systems as well.

Part I: here.

Part II: here.

No comments: