Sunday, October 19, 2008

OpenOffice 3 Native on Mac OS X

OpenOffice.org has been released to run natively on Mac OS X Intel computers with the release of version 3. There is also a PPC version but it seems kind of unofficial. Previous versions of OpenOffice required Mac users to use X11 and it was slowernHell. NeoOffice worked natively just fine, tho. A quick and dirty startup test had OpenOffice 3 running a tad quicker than NeoOffice 2.2.3 on an old 450 G4 x2/1G RAM.
OpenOfffice is an office suite like Micro$oft Office with a word processor, spreadsheet, database and presentation application. It opens and saves most of the MS file formats and has PDF and Flash export built in. It is freely available for Linux, Mac, Solaris and Windows.

You can download the Intel and PPC versionshere

1 comment:

SecondComingOfBast said...

I got it a month ago, but I've only used it once. I got it principally for the pdf function, which Word doesn't have. One thing I don't like about it is it doesn't have a clipboard function, which makes it more difficult to copy more than one item at a time, unless you open a separate page. There's some other quirks to it too, but its basically a pretty good program. I think my main problem with it is it seems to be running in the background on my computer whether or not I've actually started it up or not, which I don't know how to stop it from doing yet.