Thursday, June 12, 2008

Red Beans and Quinoa

I like red beans and rice. Being an ignorant cook, I usually just make the Vigo mix with some veggies and some hot smoked sausage.
While reading a book called Collapse, the author discussed the diet of Incans and Azteks and that they ate a grain (a psuedograin ?) called quinoa that was high in protein.
In an effort to be a little more self sufficient, eat more healthy & cut food costs, I attempted red beans and quinoa from scratch. Well, ok, really the only difference besides substituting quinoa for rice was using bagged kidney beans and using the spices in my hellhole -er- around the house.
Fast soaking 1/2 cup of beans involved rinsing a half cup of beans and then bringing them to a boil in 2 cups of water, covering and, after removing from the heat, letting sit for n hour.
This tenderized the beans but they were still pretty chewy.
In another pan, I sauteed a tsp of chopped garlic, a small yellow onion and a green bell pepper (chopped up) in a bit of butter for a few minutes. Then I put in a cup of quinoa. they say to rinse and strain the quinoa but I had nothing to strain the little bastards and upon adding any water, the stuff just clumped up, so I figured, what doesn't kill me makes me stronger & just dumped it into the sauteing vegetables.
Stirred that around for a few & then dumped in 2 cups of water, some black pepper, soy sauce and Tabasco® sauce.
Then I stirred in the beans. brought the mess to a boil and reduced heat and covered for about 10 - 15 min.
Then I stirred in two chopped up celery stalks & let sit uncovered on the stove for about 5 minutes.
The result ? It was ok.

No comments: