Wednesday, April 30, 2014

The Contest I Could Have Won

Slummin' in the Sketchbook
Bob City didn't have a comic book store. A guy had to go to various drug stores & such & then fumble around with comics scrunched into obnoxious rotating racks in no particular order. We were lucky to have a local chain called Readmore that sold, comics, magazines, paperbacks, school art supplies, local memorabilia like spoons & plates & coffee mugs, newspapers, beer, wine & pop and pizzas & subs.
Then some guy came along & rewrote the rules. He started up a dedicated comic book store across from a major shopping center.
He also put on the first comic book convention in Springfield, OH.
One of the events at the convention was an art contest. That's what this image was for. It has genuine Steve Ditko rubber extremities & catches that split second realization that death is imminent. Cool, huh?
Anyway, I gave up on it, I knew other people were better than I was. And there were - but nobody submitted anything. So, even unfinished I could have won the prize whatever the prize was…
And this just goes to show you, I guess, pretty much nothing.

No comments: